AmazingCritter®Products

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Allergies in pets

@amazingcritterproducts.com #pets #animals #portraits #customizedpetportraits

by Giva Solana

Spring is right around the corner, and for many of us that means allergy season is here. That is also true for our four legged friends. Many animals have developed more and more allergies, due to environmental changes and challenges.

Your pet may be sneezing, have a runny nose and eyes, and scratch excessively. All of these are symptoms of allergies.

There are some really good homeopathic remedies on the market, that can provide great relief for your little friend. I am a firm believer in Nature and Herbs, and they are really helpful!
People medications, such as Benadryl and Claritin will only provide temporary relief, and have some severe side effects. If you choose any of those human meds for your pet, please make sure to ask your vet FIRST. Sometimes human medications are poisonous for animals!!! 

A visit to the vet is necessary in many cases. With allergy testing the dermatologist may be able to pin point the cause of your pet's allergy, and make a medication specifically for your pet's needs. However, most of the time, it is more or less a miss and hit situation. Please do not make any diet changes or treat your pet with any medications, before you consult with your vet or without veterinarian guidance. That might make it more difficult to isolate the causes of the allergy.
In many cases, the allergy is caused by foods, just like in humans.

However, in today's world, mostly our environment is to blame! Cleaning products, chemicals, room deodorizers, dyes, pesticides, and other household items may cause a hypersensitive skin reaction in your pet called "allergic contact dermatitis". In this case your pet most likely scratches a lot, and lesions may occur on it's body mostly in areas with minimal hair growth like paws, abdomen, muzzles etc.
The affected areas are usually red and you can see small bumps or blisters. Do not treat those yourself, please consult a vet!

Obviously it is necessary to remove or restrict your pet's exposure to the irritant, as soon as possible.

You can give your pet a bath with a very mild soap and water, or a hypoallergenic shampoo regularly to relief the itch and burning sensation, that your pet may suffer.

Sometimes it is as easy as making sure that the food bowl is really clean, washed with hot water and dish soap, before you feed. Glass and stainless steel bowls are preferable.
If you walk your pet, try to avoid grassy areas, because they are often sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals.

Most of all be kind to your pet! It is no fun for them either, and to ask them to "stop scratching" is not going to help!



No comments:

Post a Comment

another fun Sedona trip

"I paint your pet while you shop" next Dates: July 1, and 22 My paintings are available at @WhiskersBarkery.